Friday, March 7, 2008

Featured Creator- jhartphotography












My second featured creator is jhartphotography, a photographer and fellow etsian. I was struck by the beauty and originality of her work when I visited her shop at http://jhartphotography.etsy.com/. I asked her a few questions about her work so that you can have more insight into her fabulous artwork. Please give her a look!

When and how did photography become your chosen medium?
That's a good question! I have been interested in the arts all my life. I started playing piano at the age of 5 and also took ballet for a number of years. Both of which I regret to say I quit (I believe in having regrets and I have many. I learn from them). I also loved to draw though never really dabbled in painting. Honestly, I don't remember when I first became interested in photography but I know I was young. My mothers hobby was photography and I remember getting up early in the morning on weekends and pulling out the slide projector and going through her slides for hours. Some were just shots for memories but some were so beautiful. She gave me her camera when i was a freshman in highschool and it's probably been since then that i really connected with it. I put it (photography) down and left it on many, many occasions but, for the past 5 or so years it's really been "the one".


Where do you find inspiration for your pieces?
I find inspiration from numerous places/things. I'm mostly driven by a feeling I have. Either it's a feeling I have or a feeling uncovered. It could be when I see something or when I hear something. Or it could be a feeling I have within myself that I need to find a way to express. Self expression is very important to me. Sometimes just saying something isn't enough... though most of my images may not be so explanatory in regard to what they mean to me. That's okay. I find that most people who admire my work find their own emotional connection. We all desire connection in some form or another. I'm happy to have my images be a conduit whether the connection is with me or completely within the person viewing.


Do you have a "day job?"
I do not have a "day job" other than photography, though, some days it seems like that would be a very nice distraction. I have two young children and I have taken time to give them as much attention as I can. As they grow older I'm able to focus more and more on my photography.


Many of your photos are described as "artist's self portrait." Is that because you are personally in the photos, or you think the photos describe you?
Part of this question I think I may have answered within my answers above but, to be more specific.... anything I have described as "self portrait" is an image that has some part of me in it and also describes me in some sense. Many of my photos could be described as self-portraits even if I'm not in them since they can be symbolic of something I feel or felt at the time.

1 comment:

kathy said...

'My mothers hobby was photography and I remember getting up early in the morning on weekends and pulling out the slide projector and going through her slides for hours. Some were just shots for memories but some were so beautiful."
i like this part the best. oh and the photos ;) great article!